Dr. Anne Tagbor, HOD
The Department of Hospitality Management is one of the four departments within the School of Applied Science of Takoradi Polytechnic. It was established in 1962 to offer Dressmaking and Cookery programmes to students. It assumed full departmental status in 1978, with a task of offering only Intermediate Catering programmes or courses.
The Higher National Diploma (HND) in Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management was introduced in 1995 as a tertiary programme when the Polytechnic was elevated to tertiary status. The Department’s plan of running a 16-month top up programme leading to the award of the Bachelor of Technology degree in Hospitality Management programmes materialized on 17th November, 2008. The maiden freshmen and women were made up of eight students that is, seven females and a male.
- To become a centre of excellence providing quality education by inquiry into the management of Ghanaian hospitality industry.
- To develop employable graduates who will fit into Ghanaian, African and global societies and contribute meaningfully to the development of their societies.
- To train middle-level-manpower in areas related to hospitality management.
- To provide high quality training which will enable graduates to acquire the requisite skills needed in the Hospitality Industry.
The main goals of the Department are to provide opportunity for research and publication, to enable the Department contribute to already existing knowledge in the area of hospitality management.
- To equip graduates with analytical and interpretative skills to work in hospitality establishments;
- To train graduates to become consultants in the hospitality industry;
- To equip graduates with operational and managerial skills required in working in the hospitality industry;
- To help graduates adopt strategies to solve real life challenges in hospitality management; and
- To train more qualified personnel to make Ghana self-sufficient in skilled manpower to care for the professional needs in the area of hospitality management.
The ability of the department to meet its challenging responsibilities lies in the constant transformation and re-structuring of its academic programmes to meet changing needs of the hospitality industry. The programmes offered include bachelors’ degree leading to the award of Bachelor of Technology in Hospitality Management; Higher National Diploma (HND) in Hospitality Management, Advanced and Intermediate Catering.
The Department intends to run a four-year Bachelor of Technology programme in Hospitality Management and a short course in Food and Beverage Service. It’s in the process of developing a curriculum for HND sandwich programme in Hospitality Management. The Department is aiming at constructing a guest house for students’ practice and also to establish two more restaurants in the department for students practice in organizations and to cater for other functions in the Polytechnic.
Plans are far advanced to collaborate with foreign Universities such as the Netherlands City College, University of Technology, Nairobi, Kenya and others which are running similar programmes in Hospitality Management to share knowledge and experiences to enable us solve related problems in the department.